Cincinnatus, NY Cincinnatus Academy Early History & Teachers
Cincinnatus Academy was founded in 1857, in which year a spacious and convenient building was erected. This, with its surrounding grounds, handsomely laid out and pleasantly shaded with maples, forms one of the most attractive features of the beautiful village. The people have always been enthusiastic and unanimous in their support of this institution, rendering it one of the most successful and widely known academies in the State. A good library has been furnished, with philosophical apparatus, etc. Following is the present Board of Trustees, of which H.M. Kingman has been president from the first organization: —
H.M. Kingman, president; Henry Knickerbocker, secretary; J.W. Sturtevant, treasurer; B.R. Corning, D.D. Ufford, John Kingman, J.B. Boyd, F.M. Benjamin, M.R. Smith, M.D., M.L. Halbert, M.D., Wilber Holmes, C.W. Smith, C.R. Dickinson, Anson Cogswell; ex-officio, Rev. William D. Johnson, Rev. Edson Rogers, Rev. W.H. York.
The first corps of instructors consisted of Ambrose P. Kelsey, A.B., principal; Frank Place, mathematics; John Seaber, penmanship; Miss Mary T. Gleason, preceptress; Mrs. Vivena M. Austin, assistant teacher; Miss Cornelia A. Kingman, music.
The present instructors are Myron E. Carmer, A.B., principal; Miss Alice Jones, preceptress; Miss Stella Kingman, common Englith. Mrs. E.L. Samson, piano.
There are three courses of study each of which affords a number of optional studies.
First, a business course, including common English branches, not complete till a regent’s preliminary certificate is obtained. Book-keeping, algebra, physiology, American history, rhetoric, political economy and physics.
Second, an academic course. Third, a classical, or collegiate entrance course, each terminating in a regent’s academic diploma.
There is a flourishing literary society connected with the school, which holds weekly meetings, and affords opportunities for improvement in composition, declamation, extemporaneous speaking, etc. The teachers by their presence at all the meetings, by criticisms and suggestions, endeavor to make this department of the school as efficient and at the same time as agreeable as any other.
Belonging to the institution is a well selected library, to which students have free access. The leading principles of the sciences are illustrated by ample apparatus. Through the kindness of Mr. John Osgood, students in physiology, and like sciences, are often invited to examine with him the minutest workings of nature, by means of a powerful histological microscope, while to students in astronomy he reveals her most vast and distant realms through a telescope having a five-inch lens.
History of Cortland County, 1885, Chapter 23, History of the Town of Cincinnatus.